What other books by this author have you read? What other books did this remind you of? Love Lives Here is her first book. By submitting a comment, you accept that CBC has the right to reproduce and publish that comment in whole or in part, in any manner CBC chooses. This story first aired in October 2018.
Did they remind you of anyone? We announce the book selection on the first Monday of the month and discuss on the last Monday of the month at … What did you like best about this book? That night, a warm summer rain was tapping lightly against the car windows and I could smell the air conditioner as it worked overtime to push out the mugginess of early July. 15. I could hear the splash of puddles as we made our way down the road toward our suburban neighbourhood. I remember how a bright-green grocery store sign lit up the car's interior as I turned and asked that one pivotal question, and how our ten-minute ride home ended up taking well over an hour. 21. The shift was challenging, but slowly the family members noticed that they were becoming happier and more united. Log in, [gravityform id=1 title=false description=false ajax=true tabindex=49], "Hospitality is always a matter of the heart; it's not the condition of our homes. Why did this quote stand out? What do you think of the book’s title? I’ve been in a lot of book clubs, and I know it’s not always easy to get a conversation going on a book. If you love Bob Goff and his book, 'Love Does', you'll also fall in love with 'Love Lives Here' Bob's wife, Sweet Maria's book, Love Lives Here, is the finished sentence to Bob's Love Does. What Amanda Jetté Knox learned from raising her transgender child. What Changes/Decisions Would You Hope For If The Book Were Turned Into A Movie? What did you already know about this book’s subject before you read this book? What songs does this book make you think of? 27. Love Lives Here is her first book. Which characters in the book did you like best? 6. 33. Think about the other people in the book besides the author. Does the book remind you of any other writers or novels you’ve read? I’ve found that the best book club discussion questions are ones that are open-ended and that get people to share their personal opinions. What other title might you choose? 8. She also blogs at The Maven of Mayhem. At school, she was bullied mercilessly, and at the age of 14, she entered a counselling program for alcohol addiction and was successful. 23. What else have you read on this topic, and would you recommend these books to others?
18. As a member or leader of a book club, you are likely to be reading books on a wide variety of topics, both fiction and nonfiction.No matter the genre, age, notoriety, or length of the book of the moment, book club questions can kickstart or enhance your group discussion.Whether you are discussing characters and their actions, setting, theme, or images, having a guide to questions that … What do you think of the book’s cover? ". 16. Did the characters seem believable to you? I’ve also included a few questions that are meant for specific types of books, like fiction or nonfiction. We meet in a private Facebook group and chat about a new book every month. Would you read another book by this author? (From Viking). What feelings did this book evoke for you? 11. Amanda Jetté Knox is a writer, activist and public speaker who lives in Ottawa. It is a priority for CBC to create a website that is accessible to all Canadians including people with visual, hearing, motor and cognitive challenges. 36.
Please note that CBC does not endorse the opinions expressed in comments. What artist would you choose to illustrate this book?
9. Shocked, but knowing how important it was to support her daughter, Jetté Knox became an ardent advocate for trans rights. She tells Piya what she's learned about the value of mistakes and emotion in one's attempt to be an ally, both from the perspective of being one, and having allies. Most of these are non-specific, designed to work for any book, (although, of course, some will work better than others for particular books). Love Lives Here is a collection of stories that include the ways Maria and her husband, Bob, navigated family their way, without clear instructions or a road map. That's made her think a lot about what it means to be an ally. Which short story/essay did you like least? What kinds of illustrations would you include? To encourage thoughtful and respectful conversations, first and last names will appear with each submission to CBC/Radio-Canada's online communities (except in children and youth-oriented communities). If you got the chance to ask the author of this book one question, what would it be? You’ll also find printable book club questions at the end of this post to bring to your meeting! Audience Relations, CBC P.O.
Comments on this story are moderated according to our Submission Guidelines. 2. It's funny how much we remember about important moments. Making space for mistakes and emotion in allyship. Were the sources credible?
Their middle child struggled with depression and avoided school. We're giving away a $250 gift card to Barnes and Noble.
If too short, what would you add? 25. 38. Because it's what wasn't said that gave it all away — the space between our words leaving a silence where you could almost hear our hearts break. Book Club Discussion Questions Our 3,500 Reading Guides include Discussion Questions, Book Reviews, Author Bios, and Plot Summaries. Over the past few years, Amanda Jette Knox's partner and child both came out as trans, and she came out as queer. I’ve been in a lot of book clubs, and I know it’s not always easy to get a conversation going on a book.
39. Which places in the book would you most like to visit? While still a teenager, she met the love of her life.
The final five books and their champions will be revealed on Jan. 22, 2020.
Why or why not? Share a favorite quote from the book. How well do you think the author built the world in the book?
Her storytelling is captivating, and for every ounce of ambition and outrageousness Bob has, Maria has kindness, hospitality, and care. What do you think the author’s purpose was in writing this book? 24. How well does it convey what the book is about? 2.
10. Closed Captioning and Described Video is available for many CBC shows offered on CBC Gem. And remember to check out our other book resources: Popular Books — our list of the top book club reads Book Reviews — for … 3. What similarities do these stories share? 40. When she found no role models, she determined that her family would become one. 20. 1.
Did the book’s pace seem too fast/too slow/just right?
If you could hear this same story from another person’s point of view, who would you choose? 19. Simply put, I’ve assembled a list of the kinds of questions that are likely to get people talking. The author was unprepared when the child she knew as her son came out as transgender at the age of 11. 31.
35. 14. Amanda Jetté Knox is a writer, activist and public speaker who lives in Ottawa. 7. Do you think any of the stories could be expanded into a full-length book? Jetté Knox finally had the stability she craved — or so it seemed. 34. From Love Lives Here by Amanda Jetté Knox ©2019. Love Lives Here is on the Canada Reads 2020 longlist. If it’s too long, what would you cut? This week, Zoe and Amanda Knox celebrate their 20th anniversary by renewing their vows — as wife and wife. ORDER NOW 3. How original and unique was this book? Box 500 Station A Toronto, ON Canada, M5W 1E6. They were wed at 20, and the first of three children followed shortly. 13.
I may be biased, but Mom's Book Nook is the best online moms book club you'll find. Want to see these questions in action, and join a fun monthly online book club (no awkward silences, promise!)? How did they compare to this book? 32. I’ve found that the best book club discussion questions are ones that are open-ended and that get people to share their personal opinions.
What did you think of the book’s length? Told with remarkable candour and humour, and full of insight into the challenges faced by trans people, Love Lives Here is a beautiful story of transition, frustration, support, acceptance, and, of course, love.
Bring the printable questions along for help. Who’s your favorite character and why? Was it easy to see where the author got his or her information? 4. Which character in the book would you most like to meet? Or rather, she didn't tell me. Then, after more than 20 years as a couple, one of them came out as transgender. Knowing better than most what would lie ahead, Jetté Knox searched for positive examples of marriages surviving transition. 26. Comments are welcome while open.
How would you feel to have been depicted in this way? What aspects of the author’s story could you most relate to? All Amanda Jetté Knox ever wanted was to enjoy a stable life. What gaps do you wish the author had filled in? They met when they were teenagers.
How do they tie together? How honest do you think the author was being? A little over a year after their child came out, her partner also came out as transgender. Here’s to more inclusive, nonjudgemental book club questions, questions that don’t discriminate whether you’re on page 20 or page 200! 12. Just pick and choose the discussion questions that work best for you and your book group, and get the conversation going! Were there points where you thought he shared too much?
37. 13 buzzy books you should read before summer ends, 'A lot of love': New book tells stories from transgender family, How a husband and wife came to love each other more as wife and wife.
Amanda Jetté Knox supported both her child and her spouse when they came out as trans. What do you think about the author’s research?
In a new book, she gets real about what she's learned, and the mistakes she made along the way.
Which short story/essay did you like best? Download all of these in an easy printable here.
Why do you think the author chose to tell this story? If you were to write fanfic about this book, what kind of story would you want to tell? Pseudonyms will no longer be permitted. 30. If the book has been published with different covers, which one do you like best?
If you were making a movie of this book, who would you cast? For many years, the author had coped with her spouse's moodiness, but that chronic unhappiness was taking a toll on their marriage. She never knew her biological father, and while her mother and stepfather were loving parents, the situation was sometimes chaotic. How does it relate to the book’s contents?
Watch Pentecostal Surf Movie, Easy To Go Tacos Menu, Autofill Weekdays In Google Sheets, Latina Pasta Sauce, Pandaren Heritage Armor, Tokyo Milk Cheese Factory Singapore Price, Fair Work Act Dress Code, Avengers Earth's Mightiest Heroes Season 3, Www Spokane Canvas, Rat King Ranger, Chocolate Ricotta Cake Giada, Fisher Price Stow N Go Bassinet Battery Size, Ryan Reynolds' Net Worth Gin, Live King Crab Seattle, Vodka And Hot Tea, No Knead Dutch Oven Bread, Pasture Raised Chicken, Daphan Meaning In English, Sainsbury's Pimm's Alternative, Small Business Branding Agency, Pani Puri Recipe In Marathi, What Is Molecular Biology All About, Lkg Worksheets Pdf, Urad Dal Recipe, Asu Sync Spring 2021, Brochevarevarura Word Meaning In English, Boogie Nights Wiki, Sous Vide Heater, Dream Theater - Metropolis Part 1 Solo, Ventricular Tachycardia Causes, Tis So Sweet To Trust In Jesus Scripture, Unsalted Butter For Baking, Chicken With Green Olives, Chapter 4 King James Version, How To Make Flan Smooth, Daler Rowney Graduate Acrylic Set, Paula Deen Banana Pudding Recipe, Martin Buber Mysticism, Blacklight Flashlight Website, How Much Is One Reese Peanut Butter Cup, Types Of Sentences With Examples, Portico Bed Sheets, Simple Sentence On Village, Granville Sentinel Classifieds, Mac Wallpaper 4k, Who Discovered Rubidium, Healthy Desiccated Coconut Recipes, Shiny Silicate Minerals, Third Wave Feminist Writers, Ephesians 1 Nlt Audio, Www Spokane Canvas, Category A Schools In Central Region 2020, Where Do Firefly Larvae Live, Pc Darkseid Vs Odin, Raisin Bran Nutrition Facts, Fatty Liver Diet, Sous Vide Poached Eggs Mason Jar, What Is Parchment Paper Used For, Mayflash F500 Turbo, You Send Me Swingin Meaning, Mécanique Quantique Terminale S, Does Black Tea Keep You Awake, Job 7 Kjv, Kush Klub Menu, Impulsive Person Meaning In Telugu, Grantham Funeral Home Duncan, Ok, Natural Hair Products For Black Hair For Growth, School Uniform Providers, Cuban Sandwich Recipe Chef, One Sim Card Multiple Networks, Butyric Acid Formula, Seagate Firecuda Vs Barracuda, Philippians 4 19-20 Nkjv, Can You Fry Eggs In Coconut Oil, Pink Check Shirt Mens, Dessert Near Me, Estadio De Vallecas Fifa 20, Halo Ce Co Op Not Working,