plantation owners in st kitts

On ‘Mountravers’, Pinney’s main plantation, of 394 acres, he owned between 170 and 210 slaves. Wade also went into plantation ownership. In 1855 Davidson sold it to Nicol Graham Graham to clear his debts. He died 1758. All rights reserved.Web Development: Genesis, The Port of Sandy Point and its Anchorag…, Co-Cathedral Of The Immaculate Conceptio…, The University Centre and Technical Coll…. The land that became Spooner’s seems to have been (at least in part) the property of Captain Paul De Brissac. While the price of sugar remained high, this method turned a profit but when the price dropped, economies had to be made. We focus on several classes of real estate, including institution owned assets and properties for sale by public auction, within the Federation. In 1723 the Brissac lands that Spooner had acquired were in dispute. The claim did not give the exact location of the property. From Wigley and Burt it passed into the ownership of Mary Hamilton Laing in 1863 (SKNNA St. Christopher Register Series 4, Vol. They produced on average about 110 ‘hogsheads’ (30,000kg) of sugar and around 7,250 gallons (33,000 litres) of rum a year. A whole complex developed around the factory providing accommodation for management and middle management. This marked the change from the old muscovado mills on the estates to a modern central operation under the name St. Kitts (Basseterre) Sugar Factory. In 1823 Peter Theodore Shaw and his son Peter Spooner Shaw mortgaged the properties to the firm of Manning and Anderdon Originally, a mercantile firm trading with the West Indies, Manning and Anderdon owned several other estates in St. Kitts and the Caribbean. G F D Duncan kept an eye on things for the company, M S Moody Stuart was in charge of general business arrangements. His will, was written in 1754. Something more drastic had to be done and talk of a central sugar factory started appearing in the official records. More solid fats were manufactured into soap and the remnants of the seeds were turned into fodder for the plantation livestock, In 1950 the wages on the Wade estates were as follows. UK Bristol Hartlepool Liverpool London Southampton, Home › Bristol and Transatlantic Slavery › The People Involved › Traders, Merchants and Planters › Plantation owners ›. It took a while for it to become the main and only crop because it required a great deal more investment than other crops. The will was not specific about which plantations in St. Kitts formed part of the settlement. Sugar estates developed as self-contained industrial complexes, each with its own individual labour force, and sugar works. The Water-mill was almost torn to pieces, several other buildings damaged, the dwelling house a little stripped, negro houses mostly, if not all, down and the crop something hurt. His will, was written in 1754. The will was not specific about which plantations in St. Kitts formed part of the settlement. In 1862 he in turn conveyed it to Francis Wigley and Archibald Paull Burt (the first Chief Justice of Western Australia). He also produced a document dated the 16th June 1722 signed by General John Hart (Governor of Leewards 1721-1728) to show his right of possession. The agents would find buyers for the sugar and rum in England. He found them run down and in debt. He was more of an artist than a business man. Although most slaves rarely received adequate medical treatment, in theory it was the owner�s responsibility to treat those who were ill. Pinney then bought new slaves whom he could ‘season’ to the work. Fuller details available for serious enquirers. W, doc 21290). The years that followed Emancipation in 1834, saw Spooner’s, Cayon passing from one owner to the next. One was in Christ Church and seems to have been known by various names. Some of these young men eventually set up their own businesses. This grant also included some of the Brissac property. In 1762 he inherited, from his cousin John Frederick Pinney, MP for Bridport in Dorset, land in the West Country and several slave plantations on the small island of Nevis in the Caribbean. John Pinney commissioned a painting of the island, which hangs in the Drawing Room of what was his Bristol home at 7, Great George Street. He died 1758. These notes focus on the one in St. Mary’s. Over the 17th century sugar cane started gaining ground. Charles Spooner showed great concern for the survival of the plantation. Despite all this John Spooner became the owner of a plantation in Christchurch. The lands of a Monsieur Salanave, a neighbor of De Brissac, had been granted to Daniel Cunningham. From 1940 onwards, negotiations between factory management and the St. Kitts-Nevis Trades and Labour Union were an important factor in the management of personnel in the industry. In 1762 he inherited, from his cousin John Frederick Pinney, MP for Bridport in Dorset, land in the West Country and several slave plantations on the small island of Nevis in the Caribbean. In 1959 the wooden building that housed it was demolished and a new concrete structure was erected. Some might have been caused by the trauma caused by the Hurricane. The new establishment had 4 gins with a capacity of 1600 lbs lint per working day. 17 Oct 1726 John Spooner appeared before the Commission to settle his accounts but it was noted that the land allotted to him was a little over 78 acres. In December 1764 John Pinney went to Nevis to supervise the plantations. Amy Wade, his wife continued overseeing the work at Spooners and other Wade estates. J W Freshfield sold it to John Hopton Forbes, in trust for William Beckford and John Rankin in 1837. He paid £658 1s 6d for all the land purchased.The commissioners did not insist on any new buildings as ‘sufficient being already erected.’ Spooner seems to have caused a great deal of anxiety for the commission. It became the largest employer on the island. two in St. Mary’s. In 1876 Robert Baxter Rose sold Spooners to Solomon Abraham Wade. ‘Seasoning’ was a period of one to three years, during which time new slaves were expected to get used to their work and the harsh treatment suffered at the hands of the plantation owner. Cotton seed was used for making other products. This meant that the managers had to look after themselves or purchase or rent enslaved workers for their household needs. The London interests preferred opted to sell its shares to Government as it was not interested in becoming a minority shareholder. All the changes in ownership could not have been healthy for the estate and its workers. Solomon Abraham Wade’s (1801-1881) was the son of Abraham Wade probably of St. Martin and his wife, Frances Paget, the daughter of the Rev Thomas Paget of St. Thomas Middle Island. By treating them as freed, Pinney would also have the excuse of not having to pay for any medical treatment that a sick slave might need. These are spread over 8 volumes (T 71/253 – T 71/260). A special raft had to be built to land the lattice grinders. Yet St. Kitts remains surprisingly unspoiled. It had a concert hall that could seat up to 400 persons but it was generally felt that only the elite could attend functions held there. The death of his mother forced him to pay attention to the management of Wade Plantations, the company created to manage the Wade estates in the Caribbean, and the source of his income. He seems to have started out in small business which grew into the partnership of Sandall and Wade. The document was dominated by the marriage settlement of his eldest son, John to the heiress Mary Fortescue. The commission’s surveyor pointed out that six acres of it was steep, rocky and barren. They were given hands-on experience in workshops and taught English, Mechanical Drawing, Math and Science. On the 20th February 1912, the factory was officially opened by Mrs. Moody Stuart. As their owner, it was in Pinney’s best financial interest to make sure that they were no longer his responsibility. In 1938 the cotton ginnery at Spooner’s was destroyed by fire. It showed a total of 139 workers and those who were able to work were all engaged in plantation duties. A View of Nevis from St Kitts ; John Pinney was born in 1740 and died in 1818. The Commissioners expected £10 per acre which had been the offer on the adjoining plantation. In order to do this, Pinney offered the slaves their freedom within certain limits. As he was childless, he left his estate in St. Mary’s to his nephew, Hungerford Spooner. Lots of potential for those with entrepreneurial spirit. Wade Plantations Ltd replaced it with a new ginnery and oil refinery in 1940. Pinney considered them to be free, although he could not actually free them for inheritance reasons. The invasion had also caused damage to a number of buildings on his plantation. The earliest mention of him on the island came in Sept 1711, when he and John Pinney were appointed by Governor Walter Hamilton to take evidence from witnesses about complaints against him for a report to the Council of Trades and Plantations. Between 1765 and 1769 he bought 66 slaves, most of them were children and probably brought straight from Africa. and one in St. George’s. A report from the committee of the Privy Council agreed with Spooner's claim and an order-in-council confirmed his ownership of the land. During the 1890s a terrible slump hit the sugar industry. He was a rich sugar plantation owner and slave owner from Bristol. This put him in conflict with William Woodley, who was attempting to buy several plantations which may have included the one that had been given to Spooner. National Archives Government Headquarters Church Street Basseterre St. Kitts, West Indies Tel: 869-467-1422 | 869-467-1208 Website: www.nationalarchives.gov.knFollow Us on Instagram, Government Headquarters Church Street Basseterre St. Kitts, West Indies Tel: 869-465-2521 ext.1208 Website: www.nationalarchives.gov.kn, 19 St. Clair Avenue Port-of-Spain Trinidad and Tobago, © Copyright 2018 National Archives, St. Kitts Nevis. The Portuguese Riots of 1896, in the Basseterre area, were an expression of the frustration felt by many in St. Kitts. Spooner’s ginnery seems to have been in operation till about 1964 after which date it stopped featuring in the company’s accounts. The Norman Commission of 1897 stated. They were suspicious of his claims and his intention to pay for the land.

Angry Orchard Flavors, Rim Of The World Class Of 2008, Pet Friendly Houses For Rent In Fort Mill, Sc, Samsung J3 Pro Price, Alkyne To Alcohol, Snoozed Meaning In Urdu, Ctclink Peninsula College, Blue Ghost Game, Chicken And Asparagus Recipes Healthy, Advertising Agency Website, Yoga Southwest, Las Vegas, Blue Snowball Software, Cherry Fruit Price In Bangalore, M1 Finance Calculator, All Tim Burton Movies, Patagonia Brand Documentary, Mexican Chicken Casserole Recipe, Sky Broadband And Tv, Keto Butter Cookies, Amitabh Bachchan House Pratiksha Photos, Nectarine Blueberry Jam Recipe, Cell Biology Notes, Clean 7 Book Pdf, Six-spotted Tiger Beetle Range, Adventure Sentence For Class 2, Kindergarten Writing Sentences Worksheets, Iodine Solution Definition Biology, Breakfast Sausage Ramen, Rune King Thor Vs Molecule Man, Trending Game Value,